For about two years I have been a big fan of listening to art podcasts while doing my artwork. In that time I have listened my way through many, many hours of illustrators sharing advice and experiences. There are some really informative gems out there and there are some more laid back, but still entertaining podcasts. All of them have one thing in common - they are for artists by artists. If you are an art student who is looking for a glipse into what working as an illustrator is actually like I would even more so recommend that you try out some of these links and give it a listen, you will learn a lot.
1. The Ninja Mountain Podcast - ninjamountain.blogspot.com/The Ninja Mountain Podcast has over a 100 episodes on its back. It is a casual, light hearted but also informative podcast with that catch phrase 'For Artist, by Artist' - the panel changes from episode to episode and as a result you get a lot of great input of experiences from many different, professional illustrators. Now and then the conversation trails of into non art related matters, but it always has good entertainment value and it's my overall experience you can find a lot of great advice in this podcast.
2. ArtCast by Chris Oatley - chrisoatley.com/category/podca…ArtCast is a ultra informative podcast by Disney character designer Christ Oatley. Chris Oatley shares of his own personal experience and learning curve and is aiming to inspire and really encourage fellow artists. He's also open to answer any question about art you may have so I highly recommend his site.
3. Paperwing's Podcast - www.paperwingspodcast.com/
The Paperwing podcast is a collaborative effort between Disney character designer Chris Oatley and IDW comics creator Lora Innes. It is mainly focused on comics however there is a lot of great advice you can apply to your general illustration practice as well. Paperwing also provides some really great tutorials that are especially helpful to art students.
4. Drawn Today Podcast - drawntoday.blogspot.com/
Drawn Today currently runs 34 episodes. This is one of my favourite podcasts because it's one of the more serious and really well informed groups of illustrators out there. Drawn Today, like Ninja Mountain, also have a panel that changes every now and so often so you get a lot of different input from illustrators in various genres.
5. Escape from Illustration Island Podcast - escapefromillustrationisland.c…
Escape from Illustration Island is no longer putting out new episodes however it does have a count of 81 solid ones. It is created and hosted by Illustration Age founder Thomas James. The podcast mainly focuses on interview with artists in many different genres, so it's great for perspective beyond fantasy illustration. There are a lot of really interesting interviews.